Forest Pass Info

Forest Pass Info

If you plan to hike or camp, chances are you’ll need a pass of some kind. We wish it were easier to determine which pass you need, but to be honest, we know it’s still confusing. That said, we’ll try our best to help guide you.

To determine which pass(es) you need, you’ll need to consider which agency manages the land where you want to hike whether it’s managed by the federal government or the State of Washington.

Federal recreation sites include: national forests, national parks, national wildlife refuges, national historic sites, Bureau of Land Management lands, and places managed by the Bureau of Reclamation. An America the Beautiful Interagency Pass gets named passholders into all of these sites. A Northwest Forest Recreation Day Pass allows trailhead parking on national forests for $5/car for one day. The pass is available at National Forest offices, visitor centers, ranger districts, via private vendors or online.

The Discover Pass is required to park at Washington State Parks, Department of Natural Resources lands and Department of Fish and Wildlife trailheads. For one-day use only, purchase your discover Pass Day Pass for $10/car. For a complete year’s worth of use, purchase the Discover Pass for $30 online or in person from any of nearly 600 recreational license vendors where state fishing and hunting licenses are sold.